The School of Graduate Studies took root in the 2003/2004 academic year offering Postgraduate Diplomas. The school boasts of a competent team of human resource, lecturers and professional trainers. It Mission is 'To prepare competent professionals at all levels to work in the educational system, research, consultancy, public and private sectors.’ The School is located at Busoga University, CMS Village, 35 Km on Jinja-lganga-Tororo-Mbale Road.
The School is made up of three departments with Research as a separate unit.
- PostGraduate Diploma Programmes Department; To handle all Diploma and Certificate Programmes.
- Higher Degree Programmes Department; To handle Masters and PhD Programmes
- The Research Department; To handle research programmes and studies
The school has a series of programmes which include Certificate Programmes, Post Graduate Diploma Programmes, Masters Programmes and PhD. Programmes.
The Certificate Courses are intended to be short courses and will be offered when and if there is a need or demand for them. Sufficient advertisements for them will be made to allow candidates to apply and register for them with terms well spelt out.
The School of Graduate Studies also offers Post Graduate Diploma Programmes as listed below:
The School of Graduate Studies offers Masters programmes which include;
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration and Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Project Planning and Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education
- Post Graduate Diploma in Public Administration and Management
- Master of Arts in Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration and Management
- Master of Arts in History
- Master of Arts in Linguistics
- Master of Arts in Procurement and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Educational Policy, Planning and Management
- Master of Education
- Master of Science in Environmental Sciences
- Masters of Philosophy
- Master of Arts in Public Administration and Management
The School of Graduate Studies offers PhD. Programmes by Thesis for a duration of Three Years (3 years).
The School of Graduate Studies offers Day programmes, some of the programmes are taught over the weekend and others during the Holidays.
The admission requirements into the School of Graduate Studies are;
- A second class University Degree from any recognized University
- A Second Class Postgraduate Diploma from any Recognized University
- Possession of appropriate qualifications like ACCA, CPA, CIM, ICSA, etc.
Interested candidates are requested to get information from the office of the Academic Registrar and or office of the Dean at the address below:
At the School of Graduate Studies a Postgraduate Diploma runs for a period of two (2) semesters each of seventeen weeks during the day, evening, weekend or holidays as given per programme.
The masters programme run over a period of four 4 semesters each of seventeen weeks during the day, evening or weekend as programmed. At the School of Graduate Studies Courses in the programme are classified as follows:
A compulsory course is one, which must be registered for and passed by a candidate to obtain a degree.
Programme Credit Units
- An elective course is one which may be taken to make up the minimum requirements of the degree
- An audited course is one which a student attends but is not examined.
- A pre-requisite course is one, which must be taken before a related higher-level course and in which a student needs to score at least 40% before moving to the next level. In cases of failure, the candidate must re-sit the examinations in the said subject and obtain at least 50%.
Hours of study
- The programme shall be conducted on a credit unit basis
- One credit unit shall be equivalent to one contact hour per week per semester or a series of 15 contact hours
- One contact hour is equivalent to one hour of lecture/tutorials or two hours of practicals.
The curriculum for each year of study shall be specified as LH, TH, PH, CH, and CU, to represent lecture hours, Tutorial Hours, Practical Hours, Contact Hours and credit Unit respectively.